Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atlas of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America
A. Organizational positions on M3 management
Available at: http://www.aaoms.org/docs/media/third_molars/wisdomteeth.pdf. Accessed December 28, 2011.
Opposition to prophylactic removal of third molars (wisdom teeth). Available at: http://www.apha.org/advocacy/policy/policysearch/default.htm?id=1371. Accessed December 28, 2011.
- Interventions for treating asymptomatic impacted wisdom teeth in adolescents and adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; (CD003879, Available at:) (Accessed December 28, 2011)
B. Principles of evidence-based clinical decision-making and applications to M3 management
Available at: http://www.cebm.net/index.aspx?o=1025. Accessed December 28, 2011.
Available at: http://ebm.oscarmcmaster.org/curricula/mcmaster-cd-content/critical-appraisal-exercise. Accessed December 28, 2011.
- Management of asymptomatic wisdom teeth: an evidence-based approach.in: Bagheri S.C. Bell R.B. Khan H.A. Current therapy in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Elesvier Saunders, St Louis (MO)2011: 122-126
- Most patients with asymptomatic, disease-free third molar elect extraction over retention as their preferred treatment.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 68: 2935-2942
- Progress in evidence-based medicine.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1814-1816
- Evidence-based medicine: what it is and what it isn't.BMJ. 1996; 312: 71-72
- Impacted wisdom teeth.Clin Evid. 2010; 4: 1302
C. Disease associated with retained M3s
- Progression of periodontal disease in the second/third molar region in subjects with asymptomatic third molars.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006; 64: 189-193
- Periodontal pathology associated with asymptomatic third molars.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2002; 60: 1227-1233
- Distal cervical caries in the mandibular second molar: an indication for the prophylactic removal of the third molar?.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006; 44: 42-45
- Changes over time in position and periodontal status of retained third molars.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 65: 2011-2017
D. Predicting available space for M3 eruption
- A device to predict lower third molar eruption.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1997; 84: 598-603
- Accuracy of the third molar eruption predictor in predicting eruption.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2001; 91: 638-642
E. Risk of future M3 extraction among retained M3s
- Actuarial life-table analysis of lower impacted wisdom teeth in general dental practice.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 2010; 38: 58-67
- Conservative, non-surgical management of patients presenting with impacted lower third molars: a 5-year study.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2006; 44: 347-350
- Risk factors associated with prolonged recovery and delayed healing after third molar surgery.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003; 61: 1436-1448
- Clinical outcome of third molars in adults followed during 18 years.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004; 62: 182-185
- Long-term evaluation of estimates of need for third molar removal.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000; 58: 288-291
- The fate of impacted lower third molars after the age of 20. A four-year clinical followup.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1989; 18: 277-280
F. Decision analyses supporting M3 retention
- Decision analysis for lower-third-molar surgery.Med Decis Making. 1995; 15: 143-151
- The cost, effectiveness, and cost-effectiveness of removal and retention of asymptomatic, disease-free third molars.Br Dent J. 1999; 187: 380-384
- The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of prophylactic removal.Health Technol Assess. 2000; 4: 1-55
- Evaluation of the costs and relative effectiveness of alternative strategies for the removal of mandibular third molars.Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 1990; 6: 505-515
- Decision analysis in the evaluation of clinical strategies for the management of mandibular third molars.J Dent Educ. 1987; 51: 652-660